Friday, August 3, 2012

Last Day of CAP21 Classes

It's such a weird time/sensation. At the end of last semester after we finished Children of Eden we did a graduation because technically the two-year conservatory program technically finished. However, it never felt like the end of school because I knew that I had practicum in the summer and then showcase. I thought that the class portion of the practicum was going to be similar to the classes taken in the conservatory that it wouldn't feel like I had graduated. In someways it didn't feel like I had graduated, but in a lot of ways it did.

The classes in practicum were very different than the classes we took in the conservatory program. They were geared to working on the audition songs for the casting directors and agents and then working on the callback material that was given to us. The mock auditions didn't feel like class - they felt like they were real. While the room is always set up to be a safe learning environment, I still know that the person I'm singing for right now casts eleven Broadway shows.

Anyway, today was the last day of the home classes in the practicum and we have one more mock audition for an agent. Then we go into rehearsals for showcase. I got to class feeling like I had breezed over graduation so much so that nothing was going to feel like a real ending. I suppose when a lot of my friends and family come out to see the showcase, THAT will feel like a real ending, but our vocal performance teacher gave us a few parting/inspiring words to help remind me that this is the end of an era.

Surround ourselves with the people that will go to auditions even when we don't want to. Find away to push through the sludge and go. There are definitely days that I'm not going to want to go to auditions, but I have to muster my energy and do what I love to do.

No comments: