Monday, June 13, 2011

Pre-Cana


Last Saturday Mike and I participated in our 1st out of 2 pre-Cana classes required to marry in a Catholic church. We reserved our spot in these classes months earlier. So, in the weeks leading up to the classes there was a lot of anxiety about what exactly was going to be talked about for both of us. Mike was very concerned that I was going to become very preachy and argue with the priest instead of saying my pre-rehearsed phrases. I had given strict instructions on what to say back to the priest if he had any questions for me. I could choose between these phrases: "yes, sir" -"I believe in the Catholic church and all the values." - "You're right, sir." I had visions of a priest standing up in front of the room lecturing us on natural family methods and us hiding in the back of the room trying to figure out a different New York address I could put down as my own instead of the address we share together. The horrific nightmare stayed with me all the way up to the L train ride over to the church where my instructional phrases were being repeated to me over and over and over again.

As per usual, I'm always afraid of being late and I wanted to make sure we got there in time aaaaaaaaaand we were the first ones there. We were in a church school's gymnasium and it felt like being in junior high again waiting for the assembly to start! There were 70 couples waiting to arrive, thus, 140 people. We sat anxiously in our little chairs in the back and to our surprise the class turned out to be a great success and a lot of fun. The class was taught by a married couple that volunteers at the church. They had been married 39 years and were gracious enough to share some really personal stories about their own marriage. We took surveys on different subjects like, financial concerns, kids, conflict resolution, and of course we talked about sex. We had to guess each others answers and I was pleased to find out that we guessed what each other would say fairly well. Mike and I are really intuitive that way and are good at being able to know how the other person is going to respond. It's a great skill for building offensive tactics. Seriously, we got to talking about stuff that we've talked about but we really started to talk about it deeper. I learned some new stuff that I hadn't learned before but I also rediscovered all the reasons why we're going to be happy together in the future.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Love your face in that photo. lol. I'm glad it was fun and informative and not awful. :)