Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Boo!
Did I scare you? Well, I scared myself. I’ve actually been doing that a lot lately. Waking up after only 5 hours of sleep and looking in the mirror, I jump back in terror thinking what is that THING gazing back at me.

Oh, yes, it’s the sleep deprived, overly caffeinated and running on fumes Beverley starring back at you. (sigh)

I’ve been back from Hawaii for a week, and already it feels like an entire century ago. I realized that as I hit rock bottom last Wednesday:

It was the 3rd day of rehearsal, and I had been gone for a week, so, I was overly thinking about all the moments needing my focused energy. Plus, I have been commuting two hours everyday all over the bay area, and after rehearsal it was pumpkin carving day with my gracious sister who waited up for me to carve with me.

I got home around 11:30pm and we carved pumpkins for an hour with the angry feisty kitty, and she exercised her naturally creative talent and skills with her amazing Happy Halloween pumpkins. Mine looked like an outside cat after an after dark bar fight in the trashcans with the town’s local feral. Who cares that one eye is significantly larger than the other, the mouth is a little disfigured, and the ears are not proportionate! I’m tired ok. I need some sleep.

So, after the quick clean up I turned in around 12:30am. I turned off the lights and went to crash onto my mattress. The darkness took a little longer for my eyes to adjust, but I didn’t care – the goal was to reach my bed. When I arrived at what I thought was my bed, I put all my weight forward onto my hands knowing that I was going to hit the mattress in 2.5 seconds. Alas, I miscalculated the position of my bed, and the mattress was about 2 inches in front of me. Naturally I lunged forward with my leg to catch my fall, but my bed was right there, just not right in front of me. So, I lunged forward into my bed frame. Laughing and wincing with pain I turned on the light to look at the mark. Sure enough – there was the scrape on my knee serving as a constant reminder: get sleep, and don’t be a dumb ass.

No comments: