Thursday, October 30, 2008

I'm Home

Walking along the beach my first night in Kauai I noticed an overweight middle aged man standing on an elevated wall of rocks wearing an unbuttoned and open obvious tourist Hawaiian shirt that might have fit him 3 years ago. His beer belly hanging over his khaki shorts, and his shaggy, uncut, un-brushed long curly hair pulled back in a pony tail. His smudgy glasses rested at the edge of his nose trying to hide his longing gaze as he starred down at the young, tan, muscle infused boys joyfully wake boarding at the crashing waves of the ocean on the beach.

He stood there for what seemed like an eternity obviously caught on his own wall between the unpredictable ocean and the safety of his limitation defined swimming pool behind him. I watched him turn into the safety of the calm unsuspecting, guilt-free pool leaving behind the unknown ocean. I felt the ping of his unfulfilled heart, and I thought may I not become trapped by my haunting friend: Fear.

No comments: