Friday, July 18, 2008

The Critics

Every time I write about West Side Story, I think it’s my last post because what MORE could I possible have to say about this d-show.

Don’t you want to see what the critics have to say?

Despite my voice teachers very pointed advice of - DO NOT READ REVIEWS when you are in the show, I could not help it I’m addicted. Given my current self esteem issues, I really should have heeded her advice, but I did not. It’s ok, this is going to “toughen my skin.” I just have to keep repeating that to myself over and over maybe it will sink in.

So far there have been three reviews. One lady loved us, one panned us and one obviously didn’t see it.

Alameda Sun showered the cast with complements, and I was very very very flattered by some of the things she said about me. You can find the full review here, but here is a snipit: “Ingenue Beverley Viljoen as Maria blows the socks off this production with what is the most authentic performance I've ever seen at ACLO (and many other stages);” Very very kind. The reviewer “got” some of the different themes we tried to accomplish in a few of the numbers including the “Somewhere Ballet,” and she seemed to really love the show. Our Riff was mentioned, but I really wish that the reviewer discussed a little more about the absolute talent that came from his performance. My friends and family thought he was show stopping, and I agree with them. Riff and I talked briefly about the review because I expressed my concerns, and he reminded me of something extremely important in our conversation in addition to all the loving praise he unnecessarily poured on to me. :)

To be able to touch at least ONE person in the audience that way was enough is truly a gift. He’s absolutely right, and I’m glad I read this review before I read the 2nd one.

We were reviewed by Insider Bay Area by the lady that everyone has deemed “crazy.” Yet her nasty review was very pointed, and I had to disagree with a lot of what she said. I don’t know maybe it’s because I’m too close to the show and because I’m too close to the cast to really be able to look at it with an objective eye. You tell me. Here’s a snip it: “Any musical company can perform an occasional disappointment.”
“Encinal High School was far better in terms of dancing, drama and character growth.”
Ouch, but then she says, “The major actors turn in exceptional performances.” So, if we are exceptional was Encinal High Broadway bound? It doesn’t matter. I’m mostly upset that she was wrong about the TEAM effort in this show. This show is good because all of the actors push themselves to their personal limits. We’re all in this together, and I think she is wrong about the dances falling flat.

Our third reviewer didn’t go to the show, and I’m not convinced she even got a program. So, it’s not even worth pointing it out to you. She got Riff’s name all wrong, and she congratulated him on his amazing ability in Officer Krupkee. That song is in the 2nd Act, and the Rumble is the end of Act 1. Enough said.

No comments: