Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Feel.. Forgetful

Sorting huge piles of laundry this morning, I thought to myself, I'll just put these two loads in before my 9pm rehearsal tonight. Continuing to pack for work, I forgot my rehearsal shoes, my script, and forgot to pack my essential cup I use to transport tea back and forth. Mieya, I'll do it when I get home after shopping at Victoria Secrets.

Come to find an email from a friend of mine, "I saw someone in your show yesterday and he can't wait to work with you tonight." What? I'm coming in at 9pm tonight to work on "I Feel Pretty." Let me just check my......schedule.....that's sitting on my kitchen table. DRATS!

"No problem," says Google Docs who safely has stored my schedule into every computer I own.

"Oh," I reply, whew I don't have rehearsal cause I'm not in Act 1 Scene 5 "America" Wait, wait, does that say Act 1 Scene 5 into "America?" Ugh, what is Act 1 Scene 5? Let me just check my......script.....that's sitting on my kitchen table. BEVERLEY!

Drying the tears from my face and picking me up from under my office desk, Myspace says, "Don't worry. You can just stalk cast members and ask them."

Sure enough, Act 1 Scene 5 is the 80 minute Balcony Scene jam packed with non-stop kissing, caressing and singing with Tony and Maria. So, I would have waltz in at 9pm watching Tony singing to his own arm. Egads! Crisis averted.

However, tonight will be the first night that the entire cast gets to hear my voice, and my voice singing the Maria material. I knew from day one that this day would take a lot of mental preparation for me including tea drinking, line studying, song practice and focus. I work so hard to get a role, I get one, I jump for joy and think, Oh God, people are going to hear me sing.

Having other people in the cast hear me sing is worse than having audience members hearing me sing because the audience members can run and hide from you after the show, and it's so dark out in the audience you can not see their facial expressions. It's a win - win situation here, but your fellow talented actors staring at you in rehearsal makes me want to jump out the window. Causually walking into work today thinking that I'm just gonna sing with my "girls" but nooooooo, the day has come!

Feel the fear and do it anyway. - someone famous said that...

4 comments:

Laraine said...

Hey dorkface, it's only the Sharks tonight. And we all know the brownies don't matter. The cupcakes are the real judges. Plus, um HELLO! Pretty much everyone in the cast saw Cinderella last year. And like um, you sing ALL THE TIME in rehearsal. And you always sound good. Girl, you crazy.

P.S. I'm such a lurker. I always read your blog.

Beverley Viljoen said...

I am a freakin' mess.

I'm serious....a mess, and rehearsal is hurting my brain.

Jonathan Beckett said...

At least you can sing. If I reworded the Abba song, it would go something like this...

I have a talent
A wonderful thing
Everyone runs, when I start to sing
I'm so grateful and proud
All I want is to slay people left right and centre with the tone deaf noise that comes from my mouth after I forget the words after the second line of the damn song...

Katy said...

You are a wonderful talented singer!! Ever since 7th grade when you'd sing us songs while we walked to P.E. lol.