Saturday, June 4, 2011

Ready for a New Me.

It's summer now which means that it's wedding crunch time.

Ever since the hectic school year ended, I have thrown my life into the cruxes of wedding planning. It's funny the very first thing that pops on when you sign into theknot.com or start doing any type of wedding research the very first ad is, "have you got your personal trainer yet?" The google ads on the side are all about different gyms you can sign up for and you're researching "wedding flowers" It's funny, but it's true.

I'm the first one to admit that I've been complaining about my weight for the last two years and I've done nothing about it. I've tried these fad-esk type diets on for size that just don't stick and I go in and out of working out, but the truth is that I'm just not motivated or consistent enough. After I stuffed my face in Vegas for my dear friend's wedding, I got home and said, "if my wedding isn't going to motivate me to get into a healthier and better physical shape and life-style, then nothing will."

So, for the next few weeks I'm turning my diet upside down.
For the first two weeks I'm doing a sugar control diet. The idea of this is to help the body deal with the addiction to sugar, keeping the blood sugar levels balanced by eating good fats and protein, and eating small portions 6 times a day. I usually start the morning off with two hard boiled eggs, a snack, lunch which is usually a leafy salad, a snack, then dinner which is usually chicken and a veggie. Snacks can be 1 piece of dark fruit that is low on the glycemic index like green apples, lemons or oranges. A handful of almonds, half an avocado with olive oil spread on it and some sea salt. I'm actually finding that I can only fit 5 meals in a day, which my nutritionist said was ok. Yesterday, I fit another snack in after dinner because my waking hours were much longer. You're supposed to eat every 2-3 hours and I've been leaving 2 hours after my last meal to digest and then I go to bed.

Then after the two weeks is over - I'm going on a 3 day raw food diet which will be all veggies with some olive oil. My body will have to have healthy fats like olive oil, coconut oil, almonds, and flax seed oil to help keep my blood sugar levels neutral. The fat also helps keep the body full longer.

Today is the end of day 5, and this was my menu for today.

Breakfast-
Grilled Chicken Skewers... ok, I know this sounds weird, but I closed the restaurant last night so I wasn't home until 2:30am. Thus, I didn't wake up until noon. It was already lunch time.

Snack
a handful of almonds.

Lunch
I had this amazing shake at this health food store made with almond milk and some fruit. (I probably should have some more protein, but eh.. it's ok.)

Snack
Almonds

Dinner
Grilled breast of Chicken with asparagus. Now, the asparagus had some hardboiled egg on top with a little bit of buttered balsamic vinegar poured over it.

The trouble that I have been finding is that I'm getting bored with my options of what to eat. Sometimes I have egg twice and chicken twice! I did however buy two new cookbooks to help spice up my different veggies and proteins. I'm also a little worried about transitioning from the sugar control diet into the detox juice cleanse because I'm hoping that the prep and the juice will keep my blood sugar stabilized enough. The sugar control diet is high in fat and in protein and sugar too but mostly from leafy greens and other veggies. The juicing will bring a higher fruit content.

My hopes with for the next three weeks is to deal with my carb/sugar addiction then detox the body, and give my body a new way of eating while working out in the hopes of getting into shape and getting rid of the access fat that I'm always complaining about. It's time for a change. I'm ready for a new me.

No comments: