Monday, November 3, 2008

Death by Tempo

We have one more rehearsal before our invited dress rehearsal and nothing is going right. I have not worked with all seven of my costume changes, my shoes aren't re-heeled, I left them at thee theatre and the worst thing happened tonight:

At the beginning of Act 2, I am left sitting on the stage waiting for my husband's return. I start this beautiful trio ballad with the first three versus. Tonight also happened to be the first night with the orchestra. I take a deep breath after singing the first verse and incomes dust from that felt like it was left over from the set build. The dust is settling nicely in my throat and I can not breathe to save my life. I am desperately trying to cough as I'm choking out the song lyrics. There. is. no. way. " Moon in my oh-my-I-can-not-breathe." Its just happening, and I'm the only one on stage singing. I had to stop the whole performance, and choke to death on stage. Luckily, the entire cast came to my rescue swarming me with cups filled with water. Glad this is a drinking show and there is tons of liquid all around including water (playing vodka) and tea (playing whiskey). Still I could barely breathe and it didn't come back as fast as I would have liked. That has never happened to me in all my years of performing. Never. Not Once. Its one thing to get lost in a song or have other actors save you, but being the only one on stage with no rescue in sight. Terrifying. I opened my mouth to sing, and all I could thing was please let me breathe.

I felt the dust go into my windpipe and it is still lodged inside my throat.

How many times do I have to learn the same lesson? Do not breathe and swallow at the same time.

No comments: