Saturday, October 4, 2008

Do I Hear a Waltz?

As I’ve stated before, I’ve started rehearsal for “Do I Hear a Waltz” playing at Masquers Playhouse in Pt. Richmond. The musical is written by Arthur Lawrence, composed by Richard Rogers with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.. On Oscar Hammerstein’s death bed, he said to Sondheim, “Please write with Rogers.” So, Mary Rogers (composer of Once Upon A Mattress) called Sondheim, and said please do this musical with my dad. Although Sondheim’s first composed musical, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum., was a huge success. He kept his promise to Hammerstein. Then this amazing little gem of a musical came despite the struggle between the lyricist and the composer, and played on Broadway for a shortish amount of time.

The lead character, Leona, comes to Venice, Italy. She stays with Fioria, along with Jennifer and Eddie Yaeger, and Mr. and Mrs. McIlhenny. The bitter sweet musical will take you on a journey into the insight of relationships.

I get to play the trophy wife, Jennifer Yaeger. I’m really drawn to this musical because it’s very “ironic.” I laugh inside because Brecht was the semester that I had the most trouble, and now I’m working on a musical that’s all about it! This up-tempo catchy really happy tune, but the lyrics are so horrible. - about a girl who is getting beaten by her husband, drinking in bed, a husband who acts homosexual, but “we’re gonna be ok.” It’s a great number. I also get to sing one of the most beautiful ballads in the whole show, “Moon in my Window.” The rest of the cast is extremely talented, and I am looking forward to working with this incredible talented cast. I hope that my website is done by the time the show goes up.

It’s going to be a good show, but the drive might kill me.

No comments: