Monday, April 14, 2008

Is it October yet?

From September of last year until April of this year I filled my time with Pasha, Dr. McDreamy, House, Michael Scott, the cast of Heroes, a cabaret show, some dinner type theatre, and I counted down the days until April 1st arrived to begin rehearsing for Coco. You know the show that I have been cast in for the past NINE months. The show that cast me and said, “sure, have a baby just as long as it doesn’t conflict with rehersals.”

I’ve learned a lot from being in this show. First of all and most of all, rehearsing six days a week in April just about kills your chance to audition for summer productions which really sucks. I will tell you that I wouldn’t take it back for the world.

The production of Coco is going to be fantastic. The talent in the cast was strikingly intimidating, but incredibly motivating. I have been knee deep in rehearsals, auditions and CALL BACKS. I have been called back for Maria in West Side Story, Millie in 7 Brides, Sandy in Grease and Mabel in Pirates of Penzance. These callbacks have all taken place right on top of each other in the midst of rehearsal and bachlorette parties. I can’t find which way is up, and I find myself standing on the stage 100% convinced I’m sleeping.

This production of Coco has not been produced since the original was produced with Katharine Hepburn in the 1970s. I’ve heard a lot of buzz around the show, and I feel privileged to be part of the production. The show features Andrea Marcovicci as Coco Channel, and the Bay Area talented song birds will be a delight to see. For the 42nd Street newbies –keep in mind that everyone carries their script on stage, and the usage of props and costumes are kept to a minimum. The focus of the production is the singing, and it’s a treat to hear the music every night in rehearsal.

As a refresher, I read some of my not-so-recent posts about theatre, and I felt I have left some holes in some of my postings.

I did not get cast in Chicago! I am pleased to say that the cast was incredible, and they had a sold out run.

I obviously got cast in Coco despite my discouraging callback.

The general callbacks proved to be successful for me. I got a lot of calls and emails calling me back for various types of shows. I have even gotten calls to step into a production that had already been rehearsing. I suppose someone dropped out. Regardless, they were very very successful.

I re-read the post about 4 auditions, 4 callbacks, and ZERO castings… I know I know, I always say it… win some loose most. My own words struck a deep seeded nerve with me because I had FOUR callbacks THIS WEEKEND. Please may 4 not be my number nemesis.

With all this performing great sacrifice has accompanied the success, sadly. I missed my really really good friend’s wedding in Hawaii. It’s made me very very sad, but I’m looking forward to event on the 19th that Pash and I are happily attending.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I wish you could have been there, it was so amazing!! But one day when Pam and I visit you in NY to see you star in a Broadway show it'll be SO worth it!! :)