Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ms. Chanel, I'm gonna show you up...ok, not really.

So, I gave her a hard time for not writing, and here I am guilty of the same slacker disease. Sister, I think you gave it to me.

In my last last post, I wrote all about how I'm a little discouraged with performing cause basically I got a whole bunch of "oh, you kinda suck." OR my voice teacher giving me a lesson that made me feel like, "are you sure about this Beverley?" To my advantage, I have become a very skilled plant pusher on stage, and THIS time I will receive actor's equity points for plant pushing! YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Please, get up out of your chair and do a little dance.

Seriously, I'm not EXACTLY plant pushing, but I would!! Oh, I would push that plant right across the stage, and even shine some shoes to get some equity points. I have tried four times to get into 42nd Street Moon to no avail, but yesterday I got a call offering me a part in the show. I could not be happier.

Actors Equity Association (AEA) offers performers two ways of getting an equity card, Equity Membership Candidacy (EMC) or an equity contract. Achieving a card can be a very difficult and a daunting process, especially for girls. When I graduated college in essentially '04, I began my floundering around. I started to sing with a vocal teacher that tore my vocal chords apart. I went from getting leads to not even getting called back for community theater productions. For the second time, I applied for a spot in the Theatre Bay Area Generals, and I did not get an audition slot.


The theatre bay area generals are an equity only audition. All equity people get slots, and the left over slots are given to non-equity in a "weighted lottery." (yeah right, they pick people.) I started at Pasha saying to him, "I really am an actor, really." So, in January of 2007, I said to my friend, "I'm going to get a spot in the 2008 Generals."

I did. I got a spot. I just got my letter earlier this week. I cried. I know, it's lame, but I cried.

I also got cast in that equity production of COCO. So, going into 2008, I'll have equity points. I'm really really really stoked. What's next? Equity card by the end of 2008?

Yeah, right.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I'm so happy for you! I'm still waiting to see you on Broadway!