Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Stress

For some reason, I can not find a happy medium with my time management. I'm either bored out of my mind, or I'm a frantic can't stop to drink water type of busy. Is there anyone out there that just says, "Ah, I worked very hard for X amount of hours, and now I can spend the rest of my stress-free mind hanging out with the swarming amount of people that can never be disappointed? Instead, I fear the fatal look of disappointment, and I say YES to EVERYTHING. It has gotten me into so much trouble..especially because "I don't want to" isn't a good excuse. I am positive that if I say, " I don't want to," I'm signing my death certificate.
It is very stressful, and my life feels very controlled.

So, I need to ask you... if you a friend asks you to hang out, but you don't want to, and you don't want to hurt their feelings. WHAT DO YOU SAY? My friend says, "hey, let's go wine tasting," and huge amounts of stress and pressure ensues.

Speaking of Stress, I need to re-focus my attentions on work right now, but answer me
this. How do you say NO, and not hurt people's feelings?

3 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

If I'm wiped out, I just tell them.

I find it hardest to say no to children. When they are asking to play, or for me to read for them, or whatever.

I love reading to children though, and it's fun for me too, so we all win :)

Katy said...

I have the same fear of saying no. But with friends, it's ok to say "I wish I felt up to it, but I really need that weekend/night/hour to myself. I've been busy and I'm looking forward to a day to relax at home to recharge my energy!" And then suggest a different time. It's better than lying and saying you have other plans. And true friends will understand. :)

April said...

i really don't know. i too feel this awful apprehension for causing disappointment...and i feel guilty when i do say 'no,' even when its a legitimately good reason.

for some reason, the phrase "if it's that important, you'll make time" always pops into my head, and then i wind up saying yes. maybe i'm too empathetic.

sorry, this turned into more of a commiseration than an answer. but i'll be reading everyone else's comments looking for the answer too.

ps - everyone tells me i need to leave a (an?) url, so its www.titansphere.com.