Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Double Show’s = Double Duty.

I’m not feeling particularly witty this fine fallish morning in San Francisco. Trying to do 8 shows in one year, while going to school part time, working full time, having friends and having a steady boyfriend, is proving to be mighty difficult, and my energy is slowly getting sucked out of me, but I won't feel that way for long. Sheer exhaustion takes over my brain from time to time, and I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed looking at my schedule that now has bathroom breaks incorporated. It won't be for an extended amount of time, since the shows will be closing, and my go-getter nature will prevail. Mom’s out there MUST be laughing, but I'm just tired today.

Yesterday afternoon, I spent 12pm – 2pm rehearsing the musical numbers for the “Brokenhearts Club” that is premiering on Friday October 5, 2007 at Octavia Lounge staring Gianni Michael Lyle and myself. For me, it has been a bumpy ride to the finish line, and I am looking forward to crossing it.

I’m a soprano, and I sing a lot of Rogers and Hammerstein. For this show, I am singing a lot of belting songs that I perhaps will not rock as well as say “Mister Snow,” but I am going to sing those songs in my own voice. I have to remember that anything done in life should be fun and fulfilling. Otherwise, why do it? I am never going to survive in this cut throat world if I refuse to embrace the essence of myself… I just have to find it. Am I really going to be searching forever?

Gianni and I have talked about singing together since we were little peons at Cushman and Wakefield. So, the actualization of this project has been quite an accomplishment for the two of us, and the end result has formed itself into an entertaining evening jam packed with the tale of our broken hearts, how we found each other and survived. For our audience, the show will inevitability be a "cute" entertaining evening of -oh-look-at-bev-and-gianni-singing. I am reminiscent of the ever so familiar dance recitals at age 5 with the family taking pictures, video, and ooing and awing for my sister and I picking the wedgie our perspective leotards caused in front of a packed theatre. GRRRREEEEAAAAT. For Gianni and I, it actually means so much more, and I hope our friends and family will get past the "cute" aspect and see it.

On top of rehearsing for the Cabaret show, we started rehearsals yesterday evening for the Gala. I was originally cast in a show called “Anatomy,” which due to unfortunate circumstances, I could not participate in. Instead, I will be partaking in the Gala for lamplighters. I love the lamplighters as a group. I think they are a lot of fun, and so far the beginning stage of this show entertains me. I look forward to the process, and the show coming together.

Update on Audition: I did end up going to the callback. It did not go as well as I had hoped, and I have not heard from them. It’s ok. You win some and loose most. Besides, it was an equity house. I feel lucky to even be called back… Compared to last year, this is a much better place to be in.

1 comment:

Jonathan Beckett said...

How can you wake up in San Francisco without feeling happy with the world?

One day you can trade places with dirty, grimy, overpopulated, stressful, grey, cold London, and see how you get on.

Would love to hear some of your singing if you ever get the nerve up to put it on Youtube or something.