Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'll Show You

Coming home late from rehearsal the other night, I discovered that my cat, Squeaks, is crazy.

Jolted by the sound of my voice, she awakes from a deep slumber hiding underneath a quilt and anticipates my door arrival. “She heard your voice,” my honorary mom says as she carries Squeaks to me. Touched at first I quickly learned her eagerness strictly came from her desire to show me her new trick: she can jump EVEN HIGHER at herself in the mirror.

Taking her into the room, she leaps out of my arms and struts towards the mirror. She pauses to sit without breaking eye contact with herself for a second. I’m staring down at her, and she briefly decides to look at me then back at herself then back at me and she says, “I know there is a cat behind this door. Open the closet door this VERY MINUTE.”

So, as requested, I open the closet door and she tears through stopping in confusion to find a skateboard, cloths and endless piles of shoes.

Completely baffled she comes back out and sits on my lap and says, “ Why do you do this to me? Don’t you love me best?”

Laughing I reply, “Yes, Squeaks – I love you best, but I assure you there is no cat on the other side of the door. You are staring at yourself.”

So she burrows herself underneath my blanket and I turn off the light to go to sleep. Minutes later I hear the wheels in her brain. “ha,” she says to herself, “I’ll show her.”
Then she proceeds to jump at herself for another 20 minutes.

Run run run BANG
Run run run BANG
Run run run BANG
Run run run BANG



After countless attempts, she finally retreats to bed, but I’m desperately trying to sleep through the continuous BANG BANG BANG BANG. No wonder the poor dogs are going crazy. They don’t understand why there is a crazy cat in my room.

1 comment:

Jonathan Beckett said...

My better half insists that cats are aliens, and communicate with the mother ship from time to time.

Did you know they are the only mammal without a collar bone ? What more proof of their interplanetary origin do you need ?