Monday, April 28, 2008

West Side Story

I had an incredible stay on Cloud 9, but then Coco, wedding and mom took over my life. Thus, there has been a delay on my theatre story.

I still haven’t heard from Woodminster regarding Pirates, but I know they are going through 2nd callbacks for Millie May 10th. So, I’m still hopeful. Yet, I do have Into the Woods to audition for and there is still some stuff up in the air.

So, I had rehearsal for Coco at 12pm – 5pm on the day of West Side Story callbacks, and I was told that if I got called back to come at 10am no matter what the schedule said. I happily complied and headed to the callbacks in nervous anticipation. I have and had mixed feelings about this because I have wanted to play this part forever, and I couldn’t believe that my chance has come AND I HAVE REHEARSAL.  At callbacks you have the luxury of watching the other talented people up for the same role. I find myself inspired by their creativity. However, having the one on one time with the musical director and director was extremely beneficial, and really reduced the anxiety “to perform” the pressure of a million eyeballs watching you. I left the West Side Story callbacks feeling like I had done my personal best, but of course a few hours later, I find myself second guessing a few of my choices.

My Grease callbacks were on the Monday after. I was still feeling like I had a fighting chance for Maria, but I then discovered who my competition was and my heart dropped to the floor taking every ounce of energy to not burst into tears right then and there. The competition for Grease was fierce. I thought I read well, but my vocal chops for Sandy just aren’t there. I’m not a belter, and the other two girls put the fan in fantastic! Plus, they both could dance, and I knew I really didn’t have a shot, but it was fun to be there and sing, dance and watch. I almost died during the dance callback because my very energetic and talented dance partner picked me up and um almost hit my head on the ceiling and tossed me around like a rag doll. I shrieked, and people soon discovered by the sheer terror on my face that I was actually afraid. He got kindly scolded, and I felt bad because I didn’t want him to think I meant to get him into trouble.

So, completely discouraged I got into my car and I cried the whole way home. The whole time talking out loud to myself (not an exaggeration) that it was ok! You win some loose most. I did my best, and this happens to me all the time! Fight the disappointment. I called my friends told them the “news,” and words of encouragement and extreme support came my way except for the ONE person, who said,
“have you seen the cast list?”
“no.”
“Then stop it!”
“Can you just pretend for one second that I HAVE seen the cast list. What would you say?”
“Congratulations. ”


Then Wednesday came and I got the call with the real news that I actually in fact had been cast as Maria. It was so overwhelming that I began to cry AGAIN. I know I know… I’m always crying. The director said to me, “When I watched you at the Grease callback, I thought, don’t kill my Maria!” It was very gratifying, but man if only I had not lost so much faith. I could have spared myself one emotional roller coaster of a week!

I am so thrilled to be so lucky!

1 comment:

ashley said...

I'm always right...its a gift